What is DevOps?
DevOps has become a trend now a day. DevOps is a combination of two words I.e., Development and Operations. DevOps is a concept where members from two different teams namely Development and Operations work together to make development and operations go hand-in-hand.
DevOps has gained a lot of scope now a day in the organizations. It has become a new culture in the software engineering field. The main aim of this concept is to implement automation and monitoring in all the steps of SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle).
DevOps focuses on shorter development cycles, increase in the rate of deployment, and more stable releases. DevOps team closely works with different teams like – Development and IT Operations along with QA (Quality Assurance) team to achieve the Business objectives.
DevOps follow the agile methodology to reflect the changes in a small time gap. Whenever any organization thinks to adopt DevOps, they should consider the below points:
- Collaboration – Development team and IT Operational team should work collaboratively. If Development team and IT Operation team work together then only they could be able to produce stable products in short intervals of time.
- Automation Tools – If the production in DevOps is quick, it’s due to the automation. So, automation plays a vital role in DevOps. Therefore, it is important to choose the automation tools properly.
- Constant Integration – In the culture agile development, the developers need to integrate their work with other developer’s work. This needs proper communication between those developers to understand the issues. Developers should also maintain the notes in their codes.
- Constant Testing – This is the important step in DevOps. In the earlier techniques, testing was usually at the last and could be done with just QA of the product, but in DevOps, the Security is an integral part of development. It goes hand-in-hand with the development of the project initiation.
- Constant Delivery –The main aim of DevOps is to produce stable products in a short interval of time. So, it is very important to deliver the products releases regularly.
- Constant Monitoring – In DevOps, the flaws in the product must be fixed in real-time. So, to do this we need to continuously monitor the product.
- Improvement in the frequency of deployment
- Quick Releases
- Achieve lower failure rates
- Minimize the time to fix the bugs
- Quicker rollback (In the event of crash of recent release)
Role in DevOps:
There are many different roles in the DevOps. Each of them has their own responsibilities. Below are the roles associated with DevOps.
- DevOps Evangelist :
This person plays vital role in Setting up the DevOps. This person will promote the benefits of DevOps. This person identifies and quantifies the benefits that the organization gets by adopting the DevOps.
- Automation Specialist :
He/she is also known as integration specialist or automation architect. DevOps majorly runs on automation tools. This person is responsible for the continuously analyzing, designing and implementing the strategies for quicker deployment of releases.
- Software Developer/tester :
Developer is the main actor in the DevOps. As we all know that the role of developer is to just code and develop the product. This was the case in earlier techniques but in DevOps, developer has the additional role of testing the unit of product. This goes happens hand-in-hand with development.
- Release Manager :
Release manager is also known as product stability manger or Release engineer. This person is responsible of release manager is to address the management and co-ordination of the product. This can be achieved through the development and constant releases of product.
- Security Engineer :
Unlike traditional way, the security doesn’t come at the after part of the development of the product but its goes side by side with the development. Here security engineer sit with the developer to discuss what are the security measures need to be incorporated into the code before actual development starts.
- User Experience Assurance expert:
In traditional way, QA expert would test for the quality of the product but in DevOps it is replaced by XA (Experience Assurance) professional. This person is Responsible to take care that the product is up to user’s expectations.
- Quick – delivery of product is quick when compared to earlier techniques.
- Right product development – developer gets the feedback quickly. This helps in bringing the development to right track quickly.
- Improved Customer satisfaction – By regular improvements during the development, the customers get the product how they had desired.
- Reduction in cost – By adopting DevOps, the organization can save money up to 20%.
- Improvement in Product quality – By constant revision of the product, the organization achieves more product quality.
- Improved Productivity – With the regular deployment of releases, organization achieves more productivity.